On election day, you can only vote for a candidate who has been chosen by his/her political party through primaries or other channels. To participate in the choice of candidates, you would have to join a political party.
Don’t vote for a candidate you do not know anything about!
Read about their plans and promises and ask questions about their plans.
- Have they shown competence & capacity to manage people and resources?
- Do they have the character to serve as public servants?
- Do they have the courage to take difficult decisions?
- Can they engage the people they serve with compasion?
- If a candidate is running again, what did they do before? Did they deliver on their previous promises? Are they accessible?
In a democracy, the major power we have with elected officials is our ability to vote them out for non-performance.
EIE hosts debates to provide a platform for citizens to listen to candidates and engage them on their promises and plans.
Look out for an EIE debate! here
An important part of our RSVP campaign is selecting credible candidates. EiE Nigeria is committed to organizing youth-focused debates that would enable engagement with electoral candidates.
As elections in 2023 gear up, EiE Nigeria will continue to encourage civic participation especially among youths with upcoming debates in Ekiti, Osun and the 2023 Presidential debate.
We have successfully hosted/co-hosted the listed debates:
- Anambra Decides 2021
- Osun Decides 2018
- Ekiti Decides 2018
- Anambra Decides 2017
- Lagos LG Decides 2017
- Ondo Decides 2016 – Channels TV and PLAC
- Edo Decides 2016 – Channels TV
- Rivers Decides 2015 – SDN and Nigeria
- Plateau Decides 2015 – Plateau Intelligentsia
- Cross Rivers Youth Party Leaders Debate 2015
- Bayelsa 2015
- Osun Decides 2014 – OPYD and LYNX
- Ekiti Decides 2014
- Anambra Decides 2013
- Edo Decides 2012
- Ondo Decides 2012
- Cross Rivers Decides 2012
- Presidential Debate 2011
Recently, EiE in partnership with Arise News, Anambra Broadcasting Service, Oghene FM, Dubawa and BudgIT hosted Anambra governorship debates on Monday, November 1, 2021. Andy Uba (APC), Charles Soludo (APGA) and Valentine Ozigbo (PDP) participated in the debate. Missed it? Catch up here